The world of search engine optimization (SEO) has seen drastic changes lately. These changes have many asking if SEO is dead. However, as most marketing experts agree, SEO is far from dead. The presence of shopping and product reviews online is only increasing, and it is not expected to stop. So, as a businessperson and decision maker, you have two options. You can invest in SEO and have a better web presence, reputation, sales, and compete with competitors. Or you can fail to invest in SEO, which would result in your competitors surpassing you in almost every business category. You’ll also find it will become very hard to market and brand yourself to a majority of consumers.
Here are five reasons you need to start investing, continue investing, or reinvest in SEO:
- SEO is still successful and is not “dead:” Despite some important organic traffic data being pulled from Google and rule changes, the methods used in SEO are still effective and the results still show. If you can improve your web presence and search engine ranking, why wouldn’t you? Also, the Internet isn’t going anywhere. The use of it and search engines keeps increasing, so ranking and appear on both of those mediums is important for your business.
- SEO does not come with a huge cost burden: Advertising with pay per click (PPC), social media, or email can be far more expensive. While those can drive more revenue and brand awareness than SEO, SEO provides the backbone for all of those to work and is the beginning point of your web presence. SEO also offers a high ROI. SEO doesn’t provide the instant results the PPC does, but once your site has a good ranking, it will stay there for free and only require a little bit of upkeep. Also, it has been noted that a large portion of users bypass the PPC results and go straight to organic results, placing an even bigger emphasis on SEO.
- Search engine market share is increasing: A very large portion of the population shops and gets product and service feedback online, and that is only expected to increase in the future. Eventually, almost everyone will be searching for things on the Internet before going to the actual location to buy or research a product. Do you want those consumers to be able to find you online and in person? Hopefully you said yes. Your business will be very hard to identify online without SEO, and you will be missing out on a massive amount of potential customers. Also, searchers will find your competitors instead of you.
- Mobile device use is increasing: With the increased presence of mobile devices, a whole new realm of SEO has been opened up. You can employ the use of local SEO. That way your company will appear higher in the results section for nearby searchers. Since mobile Internet use and searching are expected to surpass their desktop counterparts, local SEO and SEO in general are very important things to pay attention to.
- If you don’t, you will lose: Your competitors are employing SEO techniques, and will leave you in the dust if you don’t do the same. Jason Bayless, an SEO expert, says, “If you’re not moving forward and improving your rankings, you’re losing ground to a competitor who is. That’s how the process works.” Most business owners open up shop with the goal of being profitable and the best in their industry. However, if your competitors are outdoing you, that goal will not be achieved.
Obviously, SEO can play a very important role for a business’s overall web presence. With the current trends in technology, SEO is becoming more and more important. It is the base of your online presence. There is really no point to create a website and not use SEO. That is essentially the same thing as creating a website for nobody to see, because it will be buried and very hard to find. So, invest in digital marketing and improve your web presence and overall business.