Content is Still King: Here’s Why
In January 1996, Bill Gates published an article entitled “Content Is King.” In this article, he talked about the emerging Internet, the ability to easily publish and share content, and how useful the Internet can be:
“One of the exciting things about the Internet is that anyone with a PC and a modem can publish whatever content they can create. In a sense, the Internet is the multimedia equivalent of the photocopier. It allows material to be duplicated at low cost, no matter the size of the audience.
Surely this article is outdated, right? It’s from 1996! While this article is old, the basic tenets still ring true. We’re here today to tell you that content is still king. Publishing content on the Internet is absolutely vital to your business’s growth and longevity.
What does content do?
Bill Gates believes in content, but what can content do for you?
- Content can make your brand a trusted authority. By taking the time and effort to create valuable content, consumers will come to you for the latest industry news and tips. They will also trust you as a brand. The trust earned by this content will then lead to more customers.
- Content gives you something to share. Funny quotes, memes, and cat pictures can only go so far. If you want customers and potential customers to follow your Twitter, Facebook, blog, etc., then you have to give them a reason to do so. Sharing valuable content will help your followers and engagement grow. You want to be more than just a content aggregator—you also want to be a content creator.
How has content changed?
SEO and digital marketing is a constantly evolving industry. The idea of content marketing has changed immensely since Bill Gates’ 1996 article.
- No longer can you write a blog and expect traffic to flow in without any work. You need to share your content on social media, in email newsletters, through press releases, and through all your social outlets. Content is no longer a novel idea. You have to push through the clutter of the Internet to make sure your message is heard.
- Make sure your content does something to boost your digital footprint. Content without an eye on SEO is nearly useless today. Make sure your content relates to relevant news, you use relevant keywords, and you provide solid links that will boost your site ranking in the eyes of search engines. Publishing content with an eye to SEO can provide a big advantage in your overall online presence.
While content is still king, it is important to remember a few things.
- Content is king, but it isn’t the only thing. Remember to give attention to all aspects of your company.
- Keep up on market trends. The way you publish content, what content is valued, and how you share it are always changing. Pay attention to this and you will prosper.
- Good content takes time. Don’t rush it; your audience will know. Put the proper time and effort into producing content.