So you’re a Facebook rookie — how do you get started? Today, it’s vital to have a Facebook page for your business.
With the number of people using Facebook continuing to grow, it’s a great place to find customers, build your brand and even sell products. What are the steps you need to take, how can you grow your following and why is it important?
1. Optimization: The first thing you need to do is to set up your Facebook page. Even if you already have one, it’s important to make sure it’s optimized. Here are a few steps to make sure your page is optimized:
- Create a clear and compelling profile image and cover photo.
- Make sure you provide the necessary address and business information.
- Include a “call-to-action” button. This can include options such as: contact us, book now, sign up, shop now and many others directing page visitors to take the next step.
- Customize your tabs. You can choose which tabs show up at the top of your page. Select the ones that will work best for your company. Customized tabs are also available through many third-party sites, including a blog tab, a contest tab, a landing page tab, etc.
2. Content: If you aren’t sharing content on your page, then why have one? Here are several tips to create an informational and engaging Facebook page.
- Post frequently. A good guideline to shoot for is 3–5 times a week. Depending on your industry, you could even post every day or a few times a day. Set a goal and continue to share valuable content.
- Try new things. Facebook is always rolling out new types of posts and new ways to interact with your audience. Right now, video — especially live video — is doing very well on Facebook. Stay current on new types of content and Facebook will likely give your page more exposure and reach.
- Vary the type of content you share. Do you share a lot of links? Is that all you share? Make sure to share videos, photos, links, plain text posts and more. Mix up your social media and see what works well.
- Engage your audience. Try and share posts that will garner a reaction. Ask a question, encourage fans to share your post and get creative.
3. Audience: While it’s important to build a following on your page, it’s more important to build a targeted following. First off, you have to decide who your target audience is. From there, you have to target these people. Funny memes and videos may get a lot of interaction, but do you want those people following your page? Share content that your target audience will care about, and target them in ads. This will help you build a fan base of people that will connect with your brand.
4. Advertising: While it would be nice to build a huge audience for free, most businesses have to advertise. There are several ways to do this, and several reasons to do so.
- Boosted Posts: This is where you put money toward a post already on your page. You can choose the budget, goal (likes, clicks, video views, etc) and an audience to promote it to. This can help grow your page and increase post engagement.
- Facebook Like Campaign: The purpose of this is to build your likes. Facebook serves these ads to your desired audience, encouraging people to like your page. You are charged only when someone likes your page, and if done right, it can be very cost effective.
- Instagram Ads: As Facebook owns Instagram ads, they are created through Facebook’s ad platform. This opens up new ad possibilities and a new potential audience. You don’t even have to have an Instagram account for your business, either.
- Newsfeed Ads: These are the most common type of ad. These can be video ads, canvas ads or carousel ads. Facebook continues to try new ad types and new ways of reaching your audience.
These are only a few ways to help you get started on your business page. Did we miss anything? Let us know what you think it takes to set up a business page on Facebook.