Email marketing has become one of the strongest and most used marketing tools around.
If you are anything like me, you’re overwhelmed by the barrage of email campaigns you signed up for constantly hitting your inbox. However, as a digital marketer, I am also one of the people responsible for deploying many of these campaigns each month.
Working with various clients, I have learned that each company has their own “checklist” and process for building and automating their emails. However, here’s one checklist that we think EVERYONE needs to cross off in order to avoid CanSpam (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing):
- Your customers have a written or verbal commitment and “opt-in” to receive information from you.
- The header information is true and not misleading. Your “From”, “To”, “Reply-To” and routing information must be accurate and identify the business who initiated the message — both domain and physical address.
- Your header accurately reflects the content within the message.
- Your content and purpose is clearly and accurately conveyed.
- You allow your recipients to opt-out of receiving any future emails and comply within a 10 business-day period.
- Finally, if you use a 3rd party to send emails, make sure you monitor and comply with the law and regulations.
What happens if you don’t complete this checklist? Well, CanSpam can create some major trouble for businesses and generate a fine of up to $16,000 for disobeying the law. OH, BOY!
So let’s all remember to stay CanSpam compliant and avoid any marketing trouble.